Hawaii Pet Information

Hawaii's Animal Quarantine Laws

Hawaii is a rabies free state. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the introduction and spread of rabies. All dogs and cats regardless of age (puppies and kittens included) or purpose, must comply with Hawaii's dog and cat import requirements.

Chapter 4-29 Hawaii Administrative Rules, governs the importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii. This law states that dogs and cats meeting specific pre and post arrival requirements may qualify for 5-days or-less quarantine or direct release at Honolulu International Airport after inspection. Furthermore, the law requires dogs and cats not meeting all of the specific 5-Day-Or-Less program requirements to be quarantined for up to 120 days upon arrival In Hawaii.

Hawaii Resident Pets: Owners wishing to leave Hawaii with their pets, and return without extended quarantine, must meet all requirements listed on the "Checklist Only For Resident Dogs And Cats Originating From Hawaii And Returning For The 5-Day-Or-Less Program". The length of the waiting period after a successful rabies blood test is modified and must be completed before leaving Hawaii.

Direct Release on Neighbor Islands: Pets may now qualify for direct release at Kona Airport (Big Island), Kahului Airport (Maui) and Lihue Airport (Kauai).

Puppies and Kittens: Due to the minimum amount of time needed to prepare a puppy or kitten to meet the requirements of the 5-Day-Or-Less program, a puppy or kitten will be about 10 months of age by the time the preparations are completed. Puppies and kittens not able to meet all of the requirements for the 5-Day-Or-Less program will be quarantined for 120 days.

Prohibited Animals: Non-domestic dogs and cats and hybrids such as wolf, wolf cross, Dingo, Bengal, Savannah, etc are prohibited under Plant Quarantine (PQ) law.

The Hawaii Department of Agriculture's Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the importation of non-domestic animals (any animal not considered to be domesticated and common in Hawaii). Domesticated animals are those animals bred for the purpose of living near or about the habitations of humans. Examples of domesticated animals include dogs, cats, cattle, swine, poultry and horses. Domesticated animals are regulated by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture's Animal Industry Division. For example, the following are prohibited from entry or possession by private individuals in the State.

• Alligators
  • Lories
  • Monk parakeets
  • Piranhas
  • Snakes
  • Snapping turtles
  • Toucans

Contact PQ with questions at (808) 832-0566 or (808) 837-8413.

Re-Entry Fee Requirements: To qualify for the reduced Re-entry fee for Direct Airport Release or 5-day or-less quarantine, a pet must have:

Qualified for, and been directly released from, the Honolulu International Airport on a previous arrival within the 36 month period that the most recent OIE-FAVN blood test and rabies vaccination used for the previous entry are still valid.

OR

Qualified for and completed either 30-day or 5-day-or less quarantine and was released on the scheduled release date; Then left the State and returned within the 36 month period that the most recent OIE-FAVN blood test and three-year rabies vaccination used for the previous entry are still valid.
AND
The Animal Quarantine Station has received all pertinent rabies vaccination certificates, and forms, notarized AQS-278 Dog & Cat Import Form and blood test results used to qualify the pet for the previous entry.

All of the requirements on the checklist for the 5-day-or-less/direct airport release are completed for each entry into Hawaii.

The Animal Quarantine Station has received the required documents and written notification of the planned subsequent re-entry into Hawaii.

Note: The Re-Entry Fee will not apply for an entry when either the blood test or rabies vaccination is administered again to qualify for the 5-Day-Or-Less program/Airport Release.

IMPORTANT! Pet owners are responsible for transporting all airport released pets from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility to their vehicles or the Interisland terminal. Airport security regulations do not permit animals to be out of the transport crate on airport property. Pets must be picked up and loaded into a vehicle or onto a baggage cart in their transport crate. Therefore, vehicles must be large enough to accommodate the intact crate with the pet inside. There are no baggage carts or porters in the immediate vicinity of the AAQHF.

Due to limitations in inter-island service on the weekend, pets arriving on Thursday or Friday, may not be transferred to satellite quarantine stations and approved hospitals on the neighbor islands until the following Monday.

OIE-FAVN Test Results

Pets owners do not need to present a hardcopy of test results to the Rabies Quarantine Branch, as KSU and DOD will send results directly if "Hawaii" is listed as the destination on the lab submission form. Owners can obtain pre-arrival OIE- FAVN test results from the veterinarian that submitted the sample or on the Hawaii Department of Agriculture website (see below).
Please do not call laboratories directly for test results!

For those qualifying for the direct release or 5-day-or-less you can now check online for your pre-test results and the 120-day date after KSU or DOD received your pet's sample.

Guide and Service Dogs

THE HONOLULU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ON THE ISLAND OF OAHU IS THE ONLY PORT OF ENTRY FOR ALL DOGS AND CATS ENTERING HAWAII. THIS INCLUDES GUIDE DOGS AND SERVICE DOGS.

GUIDE DOGS AND SERVICE DOGS THAT MEET THE FOLLOWING DEFINITIONS CAN COME INTO HAWAII WITHOUT QUARANTINE PROVIDED THEY FOLLOW THE STEPS OUTLINED BELOW.

"Guide dog" means any dog individually trained by a licensed guide dog trainer for guiding a blind person by means of a harness attached to the dog and a rigid handle grasped by the person.

"Service dog" means any dog that is individually and professionally trained to: alert a person with impaired hearing to the presence of people or sounds; assist a person with disabilities involving mobility by pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, or otherwise aiding the user in accomplishing a variety of tasks; alert a person with a seizure disorder to the onset of a seizure or to alert another person or organization at a remote location to the seizure; or alert a person to an impending life-threatening medical crisis and assist in mitigating the consequences of such a crisis; and that belongs to a person with a disability that substantially limits a major life activity.

KEY POINTS FOR QUALIFYING AS A SERVICE DOG OR AN EXEMPTED GUIDE DOG

• The dog must have current rabies vaccination. (Documentation of the vaccination must include the product name, the lot or serial number, and the expiration date of the lot.)
  • The dog must have a microchip implanted that can be read with an Avid scanner (Avid or Home Again chip).
  • Prior to arrival the dog must have passed one OIE-FAVN tests with a level of 0.5 I.U. rabies antibody or greater. The laboratory will not perform the tests unless the microchip number accompanies the test request form.
  • The dog must have a standard health certificate issued not more than 30 days prior to arrival in Hawaii.
  • For a service dog, there must be a physician's statement which certifies as to the disability, and that the service dog provides assistance having to do with that disability, or a certificate of training as a service dog by a training program accredited by Assistance Dogs International, Inc., or a service dog training program with equally rigorous administrative, operational and training standards.
  • The Rabies Quarantine Branch must receive notification at least 24 hours in advance of arrival information and location where the dog will be staying. Information can be faxed to 808-483-7161 or telephoned to 808-837-8092.
  • On arrival in Hawaii, the dog must be brought by the airline to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility for verification of compliance with the above requirements and examination of the dog for external parasites. If all is in order, the dog will be released at that point.
  • Qualified Guide dog and Service dog users may request inspection in the terminal at Honolulu International Airport by notifying the Rabies Quarantine Branch 7 days or more before arriving. In these cases, a “Notice of Terminal Inspection” with tracking number will be issued and sent to the user. To avoid confusion and delays, this Notice must be presented to airline representatives upon arrival in Hawaii. After inspection, if all is in order, the dog will be released.

Comments

Dawn wrote almost 5 years ago:

I do not understand why ferrets are not allowed in the state of Hawaii. I feel that they are more trustworthy pet the a cat or dog. Also Gerbils you have to be joking I REALLY cant grasp that one.

One more thing are there any other types of bird that are not allowed in Hawaii if so I would really like for someone to tell me.

Dawn

Ana wrote over 4 years ago:

Dawn,

The restrictions on animals that can be brought to Hawaii are to protected the delicate balance of the Hawaiian environment. Most of animals/plants in Hawaii used to be endemic (just found here) and after a lot of animals (such as rats, mongoose, etc) and plants were bought, they just take over the native species - eating their seeds, eggs, reproducing like crazy... and we lose species that dont exist anywhere else in the world.

If you allow ferrets or gerbils and the animals somehow end up in the wild, they will find a good environment to reproduce and kill more native species - they became invasive species, a large ecological and economical problem around the world.

That's also why you should not release your pets in the wild (hawaii has a huge problem with feral cats - all started with pets released), and you should also not flush your live fish in the toilet, or put it in a lake/stream, among many other things.

I hope it helped to clarify,

David Fowler wrote over 4 years ago:

Actually most ferrets when purchased are already spayed or neutered so allowing ferrets that are sterile would seem solve your problem. I have vacationed in your state many times & recently had the opportunity to take a job there but declined due to the ferret restriction. I would never give up my pet even to live in paradise & when he eventually dies I will definitely get another ferret. I hope your state can reconsider allowing ferrets if they are sterile. Thank you for the consideration.

Ron Dailey wrote over 4 years ago:

The re-entry fee for a pet who we spent $1100 for quarantine is is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen. No wonder the state is broke. Why should I have to keep paying for my pet who has all his damn shots, and who spent 3 months in thier puppy jail?

Ray wrote over 4 years ago:

I have 2 show chow chows, the male was actually from a breeder in Kaneohe and is know 11 years old, I also have a female burebred who is turning 5. They both have all there shots, chips etc, but the State of Hawaii still will make them do 90-120 days simply because if the days our itinerary falls on due to work. Does this make any sence at all?? They are both in perfect health, chipped, rabies vacc twice and simply flawless animals. it seems to me the $1082.00 PER ANIMAL seems a little excessive when they have been given the most perfect bill of health money can buy. Please let me know what you guys think??? Don't get me wrong I understand the reason for the quarantine and keeping rif raf out but these are my kids and I truly believe this is nothing but a way to generate income for the State. There has to be an easier way to allow our furry friends a way to get through faster. Especially when you everyone MOST DEFINATELY takes the time, effort and expense to adhere to all the rules the State of Hawaii needs. Let me know what you think I am curious. Aloha Ray

Mary wrote over 4 years ago:

I agree with everyone, its ridiculous that the state has us doing all these tests, honestly isn't it good enough just to ask for records from the vet? No but since that's not good enough they want all these tests plus LONG waiting periods it's crap. In my case I'm moving to Hawaii bc of military so y cant there be SHORTER waiting periods its not his fault y we're moving. Now its just so difficult to make the move since either i take him to Hawaii & leave him in quarantine for the rest of his time of the waiting period from the SUCCESSFUL BLOOD WORK or to leave him with my parents back home then when the 120 days are up send him on a plane to be back in my arms. Me and my husband don't have kids but our dog is like one to us.

julie kelly wrote about 4 years ago:

i agree with you ray and mary..my husband has gotton orders for the next 3 years in hawaii,so i have been going around banging my head off the wall trying to figure out all there stupid laws,it is stressing me out to what they expect from us,my dog who is 3 yrs old is in perfect health all his rabies shots are up to date,no ticks not even a flea,yet this is still not good enough for them,the price for the quarantine is pathetic,your right about one thing they are making money of the very healthy animals,there should be special accomadations especially for the military,me dog is my baby too,and not having him around will be unthinkable,i was also wondering if any healthy animals have ever come out of quarantine sick ???

julie kelly wrote about 4 years ago:

rhiannon wrote over 3 years ago:

i have a wiemerwaner and i was wondering if there are any regulations aginst them?

Rosa wrote over 3 years ago:

Can someone tell me if I can take my cat from Oregon to Guam via Honolulu and keep it under the seat? Continental says no animals into or out of Hawaii but does not mention just a layover for the next flight. Help!

Jacqueline wrote over 3 years ago:

Shoot. I knew re. the microchip and travel certificate requirements but not about the 120 minimum day wait post blood test results being sent to the lab in Kansas. shoot. shoot. shoot. Our plans may be really messed up now. shoot. Has anybody had any experience with boarding cats in the quarantine? Is it clean? Is there good ventilation & temperature control? Do they have proper space to run/walk/climb around? Are alternate quarantine spaces accepted? I cannot imagine keeping a cat in a cage for 30- 120 days. To me that sounds like borderline animal cruelty. Shoot.

Bel wrote over 3 years ago:

Jacqueline -
Our cat went through quarantine and I think it was more tramatic for us than for him. The kennels are fairly large (~5 feet x 10 feet) with perches for your cat to jump up onto. There is also a bench for you to sit on. The kennel was always clean. We visited almost every day and our cat seemed happy when we arrived each time. He loved staring at the birds outside the kennel. The people working there were very friendly and knew the names of all of the cats that they feed. We had trained our cat to dance for his food and they really enjoyed watching him dance before each meal. They would often talk to us about what they saw our cat doing during the day and if there was any unusual behavior. I really got the feeling that the people who worked there really loved animals.

Chelsea wrote over 3 years ago:

So, I'm doing everything required in order for my little 3lb. chihuahua "Sophie" to come into Hawaii on Oct 2. (Direct airport release) She will have been here (Nevada) for 120 days since "the lab" received her blood work, I will have all of the documents and paper work etc. needed for her to legally come into Hawaii....
My question: Will I have any "unnecessary" problems bringing her strait to our new home that day????? Should I be worried? She is 10 years old and Im not really sure she would survive anymore than a few days in quarantine.....YIKES! Anyone?!??!TIA

-Chelsea in Reno, NV

Vinny wrote over 3 years ago:

Though I do believe that Hawaii can streamline the process to make it shorter and easier, I do not believe that, if they are going to house the animal for 120 days, $1082 is excessive. That works out to about $9 a day, which is an extreme bargain for boarding your dog.

Also, the vet and shot records are not enough, the test is needed. The purpose of the test is to determine that the rabies antibody has properly built up in the system. Though rare, sometimes, for a variety of reasons, the vaccine doesn't take. Simply showing that the animal had the vaccine does not prove that the vaccine took. If the state wants to remain rabies free, they can't take anything for granted.

I do not, however, believe that it should take 120 to do this. If the pet originates in Hawaii, and is returning to Hawaii, such as a Hawaiian resident taking their pet on a vacation, the test needs to be done only 14 days prior to the pet leaving Hawaii, and Hawaii must have received the result prior to the pet leaving the state as well. Hawaii recommends that you do it at least 2 to 4 weeks in advance to insure that the result is received in time. Now, if the lab can determine that the antibody has built up in a pet from Hawaii in just 2 to 4 weeks, why should it take 3 to 4 months to get the exact same result for everyone else's pet? That makes no sense at all. The amount of time required to have the test prior to entering the state should be reduced to 30 days in order to qualify for direct airport release. That would be completely doable, and a lot more reasonable.

Regarding Ray's comments about his show dogs, I am sorry but they are just silly. You said that you understand the need to keep out the "rif raf" but your dogs should not have to be bothered because they are show dogs. Who decides who the "rif raf" is, you? It is ridiculous to expect the state to make dog by dog judgements on who is a "good" dog and who is "rif raf". Obviously, there has to be a uniform policy that applies to all dogs.

joan wrote over 3 years ago:

why not require proof of vaccinations for humans to enter "paradise"? I'm sure there have been many cases of communicable diseases in humans and none of rabies in cats and dogs. My little chihuhua would not survive in a kennel for one day, let alone five or even 120.

Cody wrote over 3 years ago:

I am a Hawaii resident. I moved from Alaska to Hawaii a couple of years ago and I travel back to Alaska in the summers to see family. I have cancer and I have a trained service animal that I travel with...since she is a cat the state of Hawaii doesn't recognize her as a service animal even though she is registered and certified. I have to jump through rediculous hoops every time I travel with her...but if I don't travel with her I have to take anxiety drugs (which I hate taking), etc. She is trained to help me in other ways also. Anyhow, her shots are in order, she has never had rabies, fleas, and always has a clean bill of health but due to anal state crap I have to stress my already compromised system just to travel with my service animal. The FEDERAL Dept of Agriculture office says that Hawaii cannot discriminate against my disability or my service animal... but try explaining that to the State of Hawaii. I'd move back to Alaska (who doesn't have this B.S.) if I could.

Brian wrote over 3 years ago:

Okay first off....this is Hawaii people- EVERYTHING is illegal here. You can't sneeze or wash your car without some sort of permit. Secondly, whatever you do on the mainland...be expected for it to be backwards out here. Everything here is complicated and causes a headache. Everything from bringing your pet over to parking in a car garage.

Christine wrote over 3 years ago:

Alright Military folks!
Orders dont come 2 weeks before you start moving to Hawaii! i have done this move here now twice with two different dogs and successfully done direct airport release with no issues. the first time we had a puppy who actually spent 64 days with my mom Mainland side until she could fly but aside from the entry fees everything else we had to do would have needed to have a pet anyway! Vet bills happen and its what we accept when we get a furry family member! The plane ticket well that does suck but American offers great military discounts! SAVE all your receipts you can file your paperwork with your orders and be reimbersed up to $500 the rest you can claim on your taxes! Avoid that quarantine if you can you get the heads up and most post vets know the drill take your time and as soon as the plane lands less than 45 min later you will be home in your yard playing with your furry pal! ( note; most hotels and military lodging are not pet friendly so leaving them on mainland until you have a house is my recommendation)

Heather wrote almost 3 years ago:

@Christine - no, most orders do not come 2 weeks prior to moving - however, at times we do not get as much time as would be needed to escape the quarantine of our pets. I, personally, found out we were moving to Hawaii 4mos. prior to moving here = not enough time to get their shots and bloodwork done (after the vet had an opening) AND have the bloodwork sent to the facility (that took a week and a half, for some reason) AND get it cleared. They would've been in quarantine for 2mos at least.
Other than that, I have no disagreement with your post.
Our family could not take them in, so that was not an option for us. Friends we had where we were had cat allergies within their homes.

@Summer - that is heartbreaking. I hope you are able to figure something out.

Sami wrote almost 3 years ago:

i really want to move to hawaii but i have bengals they hate water and are scared to go outside (which is what the govt is scared of). the reason for not allowing them is ridiculous unless the one of the cat's parents was a wild cat. my cats are like 20 generatins or more from one wild cat.and btw any cat with an adventurous personality could go and kill endangered species. THIS IS SO STUPID

Tracy wrote almost 3 years ago:

We are leaving Japan and going to Hawaii on our way back to the staes. We will be there 3-4 days. We didn't do the 120 day blood work. Will our cat be held in Hawaii longer than us, or will she just go into quarrentine and then be released to fly on to the states?

Ken wrote almost 3 years ago:

Having worked in the airline industry 32 years, but having retired 10 years ago, I was aware of the 120-day quarantine for dogs, cats, etc. How did the Obama's dog get to avoid the quarantine?

crystal wrote almost 3 years ago:

Okay, so I completely agree with most of the comments above, but hello, what about trying to get a parrot into Hawaii? My husband (active duty) just found out our next duty station is Oahu. We have traveled overseas w/ Birdie b4, (Europe) finally cracked that code, now this. I don't want to try and reinvent the wheel, so if anyone has made this trip with a large (blue and gold Macaw) feathered friend I would greatly appreciate it. Btw, we will be flying out of SFO. Thanks in advance

RL wrote over 2 years ago:

I'm glad to hear at least one positive story about their pets being in quarantine! Any more stories?

I don't agree with the 120-day quarantine. Just doesn't make sense. The OIE-FAVN tests for antibodies and not whether the cat has rabies. If an animal is infected with rabies, it takes about 6-months to show symptoms but the only way to diagnose rabies is to look at the animal's brain, post-mortem. So this 120-days is pretty baffling to me. A pass means the cat/dog has antibodies, and if the animal was not bitten by a rabid animal then you could safely assume the dog/cat is OK, NO???

If you look at the history of Hawaii, you would understand the context of this paranoia, so I'm not in agreement but I understand why Hawaii is extra-careful. So if you are coming to Hawaii and would like to understand why there is paranoia, please go read articles on how communicable diseases wiped out half the native Hawaiian population and foreign animals/plants got extinct. Sad history, really.

RL wrote over 2 years ago:

Oops, I meant, "foreign animals/plants led to native plants/animals to go extinct"

Kelsey wrote over 2 years ago:

We moved to Hawaii about two yrs ago and had to undergo all the ridiculous crap the state had us do to our dog. My dog is a pedigree blue blood papillon who came from two AKC champions. The breeder vaccinated my dog with the three yr shot as a puppy. The state wouldn't except his vaccination records and made us put him in Quarantine for the hundred and twenty day quarantine. while he was in quarantine they abused my dog physically. They starved him and he caught ear mites while being in their awful outdoor kennels. I watched while I visited my dog, that one of the handlers sprayed cold water all over someone ellses dog, which was not needed because the temp here is btw the 80-60s. It was obvious that the dog didn't like what the handler was doing because it was crying and trying to get away from the water. I also brought special food for my dog filled all the paperwork out for him to be fed. when I checked on them feeding him, one of the handlers stole the food, bc the vet there could not find the slip I filled out yet I could provide the carbon copy with date and factual info on it. I finally had it with the quarantine and pulled my dog out by moving back home to Texas. I have it on record from my vet in Texas who examined him after he was in the quarantine. My vet found that he lost weight, had ear mites, and got unusually aggressive towards dark skinned blond headed woman. Who by the way looked just like my dogs handler (I know this bc I gave her a fifty to give my dog food and water for his departure back to Houston. She did not give it to him. when I got him in Houston he was so deprived of water that the airline pet handlers in Houston gave him some water. If I had the money I would sue the state for what they did to my dog and the trauma they put our family through.

Mark Cross wrote over 2 years ago:

I have moved 3 times to Hawaii with dogs, cats and parrots. The parrots where the easiest 15 years ago but Hawaii made it tougher and you must quarentine birds (the ones that are allowed) at your mainland vet for several days. The cats and dogs can be a pain but there are some new steps that are making it quicker. I would have moved back to Hawaii several years ago but I have lory parrots and they are forbidden in Hawaii and I would hate to give them up and find out that they where not well taken care of and that the move back to Hawaii would not work out.

laura wrote over 2 years ago:

So does anyone with one cat have a total amount from beginning to end to get the pet there? What is this chip implant thing? WTH does that have to do with rabies?
Mahalo!

John Bywaters wrote over 2 years ago:

It is plain and simple, pet laws for entering Hawai'i are big money for the Dept. Of Agriculture. To the tune of $11+ million a year. It is constantly being requested to drop the quarentine and the same person overrides it everytime. It's a Dr. and cannot remember his name right now.

Roxanne wrote about 2 years ago:

last febuary we started the process of moving our lives to the big island rules are rules people to put it simply your pets must do thier 120 days jail time with you on the mainland and then get a same day release at the airport to move to the islands takes some planning to sit and grip about the rules you can't control is a waste of your precious time if you are wanting to enjoy Hawaii with your pet along side stop complaining and plan ahead quite frankly the rules are in place to protect what makes hawaii the beautiful place it is some things maybe are not suppose to be understood by all > just get over yourselves on your blue blood pets and why they are held up in quarrentine are you serious? with all your pomp and circumstance it's shocking that your pedigree cant muddy up a rule to overlook you Republican are you > get it togather and use your brains to figure the rules out and proceed . good luck to all the charlie browns on the web site : )

Nelly wrote almost 2 years ago:

While the quarantine process does seem a bit long, there's a few things that they do seem to be doing right. The base vet that ran our FAVN tests has been absolutely useless with regard to obtaining the results. Fortunately I was able to download a document from the Department of Agriculture website that lists all the animals that have current test results on file and the earliest date that they are eligible for the "5 day or less/direct release" program. That is a great feature.

Now, for those chastising people for not planning far enough ahead of time or even saying that military orders don't just come 2 weeks in advance. You have to know that this is not uniformly true. It's happened at least once to my husband that he received orders and a plane ticket the day before he was to report. Other times he received them less than one month ahead of time. And even if you do get orders early, there's the ever-present fear that after you've put all the effort and money into getting everything ready that the orders will change.

Lilikoi wrote over 1 year ago:

Just to add to this whole situation. 1. Horses can carry rabies but when asked at quarantine while my shih tzu was there the first time. The reply was that they are too much work so they release them the next day. Before the no stay the quarantine was 30 days, $200 something $$ can't remember. My dog was a mess with all the barking at night. I sat with him everyday. After he came home he traveled a lot and a neighbor had his pit bull tied on my road in and bit him which killed him. 2. if your dog has not had two shots you have to wait 4 wks to get the next one then wait another 3 wks to test antibodies. Kansas only charges $83 to do the test and fedX is about $40. The vets here want $250-$400 just for the test which Kansas told me to ask the vet for a breakdown in charges. This doesn't include micro chip, shots, health cert. One vet wanted $155 for a health cert. Central Animal Hosp Kahului was $225 for everything to mainland. 3. if you have a guard dog or trained service dog their shots have to be current, FAVN, chip, health cert. but they are admitted immediately no wait on mainland. If you are blind and have all current you can let the airline know 7 days before arrival and the dog is released immed. So now wait does this make the dog less chance of antibodies because the dog is trained to enter a rabies free state? Or better yet that dog wouldn't bite an approacher to protect his blind owner? Who is to say an animal owner which are my family isn't as valuable to say a senior or companion. Animals are such a mystery as to what they give us humans especially horses. So much a part of our lives, so unconditional in their love that teaches us. Not something to be making millions of $$ off of and that is what it is all about. You don't think people on boats or private planes have brought their animals to HI with no quarantine? Actually back in 09 US was considered for dogs rabies free. Due to the fact we have foxes, raccoons and bats they can demand the quarantine.. just sayin

lilikoi wrote over 1 year ago:

One last comment I didn't mention, use to be you could ship your horse for like $750. Now you have to use a forwarder for some $1348 a horse. Which mine are rescues from auctions so wouldn't leave them. Also didn't mention one vet office said they charge so much due to the fact they don't want to deal with the paperwork which really isn't that difficult to figure out... but hello a vet office that treats your animal because they love animals wont charge accordingly so you can take the animal with you can't figure that thinking out. just sayin

Living In Hawaii wrote over 1 year ago:

Hello All!

I have lived in Hawaii my entire life. There is something to be said for being able allow kids and animals to meander and not having to worry about rabies. I have read a lot of people who have complained that they want to move here, but do not like this rule or that law, etc. To all of you, please do NOT move here.

The biggest problem is that people visit Hawaii and think what a great paradise it is (And Yes it IS paradise, then they move here with all the mainland ideals. They move here because it is different, beautiful, and wild, then they want to change it. Love the country but complain about the chickens? Give me a break. If you love the way that Hawaii IS and you want to come down because of how it IS, leave it how it IS and stop trying to make it more like the mainland. If you prefer the mainland way of things (animal rules etc.) then STAY THERE! Do not change our home!

We have been here for generations, and the way life moves here is different. The neighbors chickens crow at 2am, we do not care. The other neighbor has a pet boar that visits the yard and digs things up from time to time, so what! This is Hawaii, we prescribe to a different lifestyle. If you do not like it, STAY in the MAINLAND!

I am sorry, but it is upsetting when I have lived in my home for 20 years, and new people move in and start shooting my chickens and complaining about my goat. Don't move to country and try to change it. All the people who have been in the islands for ever love the chickens because they eat the roaches and centipedes, and the goat is a favorite of the local kids. Don't change my home, stay in yours.

Misti Hopkins wrote over 1 year ago:

Recently Hawaii has amended their policy ion regards to the quarantine. Animals are now able to have required procedures done on the Mainland so animals can then be released at the airport after paying the Dept. of Agriculture a fee of $165. All animals MUST arrive no later than 3:00-3:30pm to ensure that there is enough time to get animals to the Dept of Agriculture before it closes at 5:00pm because the gate fee has to be paid. Otherwise they will go into quarantine until the office opens.
It sounds complicated but it is a much easier and humane than it was. Not to mention the cost is drastically reduced.

Misti Hopkins wrote over 1 year ago:

I forgot to mention that there is still a 120 days needed to satisfy the required rabies shots and blood test. So be prepared to begin the process prior to your intended arrival date. The checklist for your vet is on the official gov. Site that you give to your vet that he fills out and sends to the lab for the FAVN blood test.
There is still the same amount of time needed 120 days to ensure that Hawaii remains a rabies-free state.

Bob wrote over 1 year ago:

I have a service dog. The federal government states that it Is a crime to ask for papers. Hawaii is demanding that I supply a letter from my doctor and the trainer even though every other state in the union would never dare ask.

Hawaii allows service dogs to enter without quarantine but still insists that the OIE test be sent to Kansas State for the fee of $275 along with all the other requirements. Because it ismamfederal,offense to interfere with a service animal they have to let you in even if the test isn't back. So much for all you people saying it is to keep Hawaii safe. I will be back from Hawaii with my service dog well before they get the results.

It's a scam. If an USDOA certified vet certifies your dog rabies free and the dog has received at least two vaccines and you can prove it that should be enough. I AM suing.

Julie wrote over 1 year ago:

I have two cats I am trying to take to Hawaii (I am a former resident 15 years ago). They are 10 and 12 years old. Both are exclusively indoor cats and one responds adversely to any!!!! vaccination. I have started the process of rabies vaccine despite this issue with the 12 year old. He had a bad reaction again even though we used Purevax (the vaccine with least impact). Is there any way to get around the second shot requirement? I cannot leave him here in Oregon - that would be a major stresser for him and I!! I need to return to Hawaii for family reasons. Does anyone know of a way to get around the second shot requirement? We are two months past his first shot, but I am still dealing with residual diaarhea issues now.

loren wrote 9 months ago:

Moved to Hawaii from Alaska with my dog. Complete the rabies Bloodwork and titers 120 days in advance. Yes he had to be microchipped. Is to verify that the dog is the same one that had the rabies blood work done. He was direct released from the airport, no quarantine. If you plan ahead then it's much cheaper to get your pet into hawaii.

Rick wrote 6 months ago:

I live in Germany and have an opportunity to move to Hawaii with my dog and cat. The UK is also rabies free but they don't require the rabies blood test. We have taken our dog several times to the UK and had to just show current rabies vaccination, deworming, and flea poison. The UK has much more to loose in native species if rabies gets established and I'm sure many more pets come into the UK every day than Hawaii. So Hawaii needs to look around the world and see how everyone else does this. As Churchill said, "America always gets it right, after they try everything else first."

Cindy Pangan wrote 3 months ago:

I am confused about dog entry...I have 3 older dogs that already were up to date on rabies...then a month or so ago got them a second. Do I do the test now and is it 160 days from test date for entry? I am ready to move and thought the test just had to be done by the end of the 160 days from rabies vac- can you help?